… BUT YOU NEVER CAN GO BACK.
- There was a time when those who stood out in the crowd were the ones who were looked upon as the outcast, the black sheep, the weird ones.
- There was a time when those who couldn’t hit the ball, make the basket, or run fast enough to the bases, didn’t make the team.
- There was a time when learning how to spell and add meant going to the blackboard and writing it out over and over again until you finally had it memorized and got it right.
- There was a time when hot lunch used to consist of Welsh rabbit over saltine crackers and a spoon full of canned green beans and maybe some apple sauce if you were lucky.
- There was a time when young men wearing a buck knife on their belt, drove their pick-ups to school and had their rifles hanging on the back windows because there was a good chance they might see a deer or rabbit on the ride home, and that was part of contributing to the family.
- There was a time when penny candy really was only a penny and if you caught Maynard on a good day he would throw in an extra handful.
- There was a time when kids could entertain themselves for hours by debating on what the clouds were up in the sky. “It’s a dragon.” “No, it’s a donkey!”
- There was a time when Sunday Dinner meant getting dressed up to have a sit down meal with the whole family.
- There was a time when young people respected their elders and offered to help them without expecting anything in return.
- There was a time when credit meant running a tab for bread and milk and maybe a pack of smokes at the local general store until the end of the week when the paycheck came out.
- There was a time when people were embarrassed to be on welfare and wanted to work more than living on the government dole.
Everything changes. Every day is an opportunity to change something. Make the change in you that you wish to see in everyone else.